Saturday, September 17, 2011

Bub's, inmates, and tapering...reasons to fun faster!

Well I've been ok with accomplishing my mileage, getting my runs in, and feeling like just maybe I can do this thing we call a marathon. The one thing I've been trying to figure out is how to do speed work. I never know if I should use taper weeks to go my typical speed in order to give my body a break or to try to go faster since it is shorter. I have the same internal conversation with myself on my 4 and 5 mile runs. Should I be going easy since I'm going to have a longer mid-week run, or try to do some speed work since it is only 4 miles? This is when I wish I had someone to tell me what to do! Haha.

Today was the first Saturday in a long time that I felt like I could sleep in because the weather was going to be great all day, and I didn't need to beat the heat. I didn't get going until about 10, which is about 3 hours later than usual, and it felt great! Haha. I ran to the Monon and was about half way when I realized I was averaging the same speed I did for the 16 miles (about 9 min/miles). Although I am totally content with that, I felt like I should be going faster based on the fact that it was a shorter run. I was struggling trying to go faster. I had run 6 out, and was on my way back when I passed Bub's for the 2nd time, but now they were setting up and the grill was going. Since I started my run late, I realized I was SUPER hungry when I got to Bub's and smelled the deliciousness. In my head, I was saying, "the faster I go, the quicker I get home to eat!" That helped!

Then I made the turn onto 146th street and about half way to Springmill and I saw police lights. I was a little nervous that I wouldn't be able to get where I needed. As I got closer, I realized that they were inmates mowing the median. There were like 15 guys in a 10 yard area and I was trying to figure out what they were all doing, until I realized they were all staring at me! AHHH! RUN FASTER!!!

After that, I only had 2 miles until I was home and that was my final motivation. It is a taper weekend, I can do this and continue my faster pace. I made it home and felt really good about it. Each weekend I feel like I have a little sense of accomplishment once I finish my run. During the run, my head spins like crazy, I doubt myself, and I think about each little ache. I need to refocus about the end of the run...that's when I feel the best.

Ok...so I rambled A TON, but I never really knew how to go faster. I guess today I had some motivation. Should I call the Sheriff's office next week too? I'll really need it for 18!

No comments:

Post a Comment