Sunday, August 14, 2011

Almost a half marathon!

The miles are slowly starting to creep up! I couldn't fit my run in yesterday morning, so I had to move it to this afternoon. I really lucked out, because it was 75 and partly cloudy with a nice breeze at 2:00. I agree with Shay that it was a bit of a difficult run for me, but I was happy to finish at a decent pace. Now that we are starting to get up in the mileage, I thought I would chime in on what has worked for me in the past in terms of gear, hydration, etc.
I have never worn one of those belts, but I see a lot of runners who do and apparently it works well for them. I also know people who wear runner fanny packs to hold their gels, glide (if you don't have this to prevent chafing, you really really need to get some!), kleenex, phone, and whatever else they think they will need on a long run. I think the most important thing is to start trying these options out now, so by the time the race comes you will be comfortable with whatever you use. I run with a water bottle that sort of conforms to my hand with a strap I put my hand through, which I like. I don't use it during the actual marathon because I like to utilize the water/gatorade stops and keep my arm from getting tired. Other than that, I have a pair of shorts with a butt zipper pocket where I stuff my gels, keys, and maybe kleenex, but I'm pretty minimalist on my long runs.
Speaking of gels, they recommend that you have something with electrolytes to refuel with if you are running for more than an hour. I have used Gu before, and have flavors I really like, but I have had problems late in a race on a hot day with it not going down well. For the last Chicago marathon, I used the Cliff Shot Blocks, which are basically like gummy bears. I highly recommend you try them!
Big Al Brown will be in town next weekend, and I will see if he has any ideas for our shirts. I am a big fan of the bra tanks, but also like anything dry-fit that is sleeveless. We could either get them custom-made, or we could always get creative and decorate our own with iron-on letters. Whatever we do, it is a must to put your first name on the front of the shirt, because you will have people cheering your name the entire race, and it's a huge boost!
Let's get a discussion going about flights and hotel status. I am also planning on leaving Friday after work and coming back Monday (and by coming back, I mean back to Carmel, IN for an entire month!!!) Getting really excited friends! Love you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment