Monday, October 24, 2011

MCM details

The following email is from my friend Chris, who ran the MCM a few years ago.

You are going to LOVE Marine Corps! It is my favorite marathon I have run!!! I don't know if people have told you its hilly, but I actually thought people made it out to be worse than it is... there are hills, but they are pretty concentrated at the beginning - once you are through Georgetown (I think about Mile 9), you are through the worst of it, so at least they are not at the end!!!! And the Marines who work and run the event are AWESOME and INSPIRING!!!


As for your parents, my parents bought an all-day subway pass and used that to get around. They were able to see me at least 4 times using the subways. I can't remember exactly where I saw them - would have to find a subway pass. I'm pretty sure the first sighting was around mile 4 before you head over the bridge to Georgetown. Georgetown is a good place to watch. Also, by the monuments - you circle the Mall by the Washington Monument and Capital... so, I saw my parents twice in there in a pretty short period of time. Thing that's around Mile 20.


Oh, and be warned.... the last .2 miles - literally - is a massive uphill! But at that point, you are so ready to be done, you just tackle it! And it's pretty cool b/c it makes you finish right at the Iwa Jima Marine Memorial in Arlington. But it is a tough last .2!!!! Oh, I'm so excited for you, I seriously loved it!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. okay, I'm still not sure why I can draft blog posts but can't actually post them ... just wanted to say CONGRATS! Can't believe you're leaving this week for the much anticipated BIG DAY! I know you'll all do great. Be sure to take lots of pictures so I can photoshop myself into them. Also, please sign up for Facebook updates so I can check in on splits and times for each of you. I am sad to miss out on this experience, but know that Baby Kersey and I are with you in spirit and rooting you on! I am looking forward to hearing all about it...especially the part about you all singing "One Moment in Time" as you cross the finish line! ;) xxoo, Fabs

    ReplyDelete